Alternate Bunny RPC tutorial client

carlhoerberg
The client in the RPC tutorial for Bunny isn't super performant (maybe not a hard requirement for RPC) because it creates new consumers over and over again, but it also has a race condition bug, where messages with "wrong" correlation_id would be discarded.
http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-six-ruby.html

Here's an alternate implementation:
https://gist.github.com/carlhoerberg/96eb730f4c533f61a856

Re: Alternate Bunny RPC tutorial client

Michael Klishin-2
 On 2 May 2014 at 06:18:21, carlhoerberg ([hidden email]) wrote:

> > The client in the RPC tutorial for Bunny isn't super performant
> (maybe not a
> hard requirement for RPC) because it creates new consumers over
> and over
> again, but it also has a race condition bug, where messages with
> "wrong"
> correlation_id would be discarded.
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-six-ruby.html
>
> Here's an alternate implementation:
> https://gist.github.com/carlhoerberg/96eb730f4c533f61a856

Thanks, Carl.

Can you submit a PR to rabbitmq-tutorials? I will propagate your
version to rabbitmq.com after that.

On 13 May 2014 at 17:55:02, Michael Klishin ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Can you submit a PR to rabbitmq-tutorials? I will propagate
> your
> version to rabbitmq.com(http://rabbitmq.com) after that.

Also note that there were 2 or so RPC tutorial iterations before
we've settled on the current version. The one we have today has higher
throughput than the original one.

We definitely want to have a correct/safe version in the tutorials
but can also provide one or even multiple alternative implementations in rabbitmq-tutorials. Have you
tried running any benchmarks to see how they compare?

Re: Alternate Bunny RPC tutorial client

carlhoerberg

 On 16 July 2014 at 01:09:05, carlhoerberg ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Yes, about 60% faster, in this micro benchmark:
> https://github.com/laser/rpc-message-broker/commit/a408b9e88686b878e8594f22d750712c08607c7b#diff-af7971122a350a943036832d8ccfc6d0
>
> related to this blog post:
> http://blog.carbonfive.com/2014/04/28/micromessaging-connecting-heroku-microservices-wredis-and-rabbitmq/

Nice. So what else do you want us to change in the tutorials repo and tutorials text
on rabbitmq.com/getstarted.html?