Consumer gets blocked leaving messages unacknowledged

Consumer gets blocked leaving messages unacknowledged

Jagadish Nadimpalli
Hello,

I am using rabbitmq server and python-kombu client library for RPC communication. It is observed that the client stops consuming the messages from the queue and all these messages remain unacknowledged.

We found the following link which is near to our problem. But, we observe that open fds are not greater that the max limit (1024). Anything else can lead to this situation?
http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2014-May/036063.html

Following is the rabbitmq version.

[{rabbit,"RabbitMQ","3.0.2"},
                       {os_mon,"CPO  CXC 138 46","2.2.9"},
                       {mnesia,"MNESIA  CXC 138 12","4.7"},
                       {sasl,"SASL  CXC 138 11","2.2.1"},
                       {stdlib,"ERTS  CXC 138 10","1.18.1"},
                       {kernel,"ERTS  CXC 138 10","2.15.1"}]},

The RPC client stack is as following. Looks like it is struck for some reason. Did anybody observe this issue?

cat /proc/12733/stack
[<ffffffff811a6609>] poll_schedule_timeout+0x49/0x70
[<ffffffff811a7d34>] do_sys_poll+0x424/0x4d0
[<ffffffff811a7e1c>] do_restart_poll+0x3c/0x70
[<ffffffff8106eabf>] sys_restart_syscall+0x1f/0x30
[<ffffffff816d379d>] system_call_fastpath+0x1a/0x1f
[<ffffffffffffffff>] 0xffffffffffffffff

Attaching strace to client process show the following.
restart_syscall(<... resuming interrupted call ...>

Thanks,
Jagadish

Re: Consumer gets blocked leaving messages unacknowledged

Michael Klishin-2
 On 9 July 2014 at 19:03:22, Jagadish Nadimpalli ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > We found the following link which is near to our problem. But,
> we observe that open fds are not greater that the max limit (1024).
> Anything else can lead to this situation?
> http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2014-May/036063.html

Your RPC implementation consumes messages with manual acknowledgement
but never acknowledges deliveries. See tutorial 2:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/getstarted.html

Re: Consumer gets blocked leaving messages unacknowledged

Jagadish Nadimpalli
MK,

Thanks for the response. Is there any reason why the client RPC is not consuming the message.

On 10 July 2014 at 10:23:31, Jagadish Nadimpalli ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Thanks for the response. Is there any reason why the client RPC
> is not consuming the message.

Because if you use basic.qos but never acknowledge, at some point you will
run over the limit and no messages will be delivered to your consumer
until one of the earlier deliveries are acknowledged.

Re: Consumer gets blocked leaving messages unacknowledged

Jagadish Nadimpalli
MK,

Thanks for the response. Where do we configure the qos parameters? Is there a configuration file for this?

Thanks,
Jagadish

On 11 July 2014 at 09:18:17, Jagadish Nadimpalli ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Where do we configure the qos parameters? Is there a configuration
> file for this?

Please read the tutorials, in particular tutorial 2:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/getstarted.html

Re: Consumer gets blocked leaving messages unacknowledged

Jagadish Nadimpalli
MK,

Thanks for the information. I will check this link.