Docs on rabbitmq install for OS X - /etc/hosts file change

Docs on rabbitmq install for OS X - /etc/hosts file change

mc717990
Was working on getting RabbitMQ on my local mac (vs. a vm linux machine) and hit one error:
ERROR: epmd error for host Jasons-iMac: timeout (timed out)

The docs don't state it, but the /etc/hosts file should have an entry:
127.0.0.1 localhost Jasons-iMac
or you'll get the above error.  A simple command that can be executed to add this is:
sudo sudo sed -i '/^127.0.0.1/ s/$/ '`hostname`' '`hostname -s`'/' /etc/hosts

This will on the line starting with 127.0.0.1 add the hostname and the short hostname.  Of course there are other options on this, but this is a simple way to get things running.

Jason

--
Jason McIntosh
https://github.com/jasonmcintosh/

Re: Docs on rabbitmq install for OS X - /etc/hosts file change

Simon MacMullen-2
Well, it's not that it has to be in /etc/hosts, but that the hostname
has to resolve in some way.

But yes, that seems to be more likely to break on OS X than any other
OS, so we should probably document it on the Mac install pages.

Cheers, Simon