File descriptors (as reported by the management UI)

File descriptors (as reported by the management UI)

Ben Hood
Hi,

I'm trying to track down a config error where the management UI is displaying 713 out of 1024 FDs and 443 out of 829 SDs, when ulimit -n returns 16384 for the same user that Rabbit is running as. The environment is a R16B/3.0.4 on a 3.8.4-1 kernel.

Running system_info in a shell seems to concur with with ulimit:

1> erlang:system_info(check_io).
[{name,erts_poll},
 {primary,poll},
 {fallback,false},
 {kernel_poll,false},
 {memory_size,49808},
 {total_poll_set_size,2},
 {lazy_updates,true},
 {pending_updates,0},
 {batch_updates,false},
 {concurrent_updates,false},
 {max_fds,16384}]

What have I potentially missed?

Cheers,

Ben

Re: File descriptors (as reported by the management UI)

Simon MacMullen-2
On 26/04/13 10:58, Ben Hood wrote:
> What have I potentially missed?

Are you using the .deb?

In that case start-stop-daemon does not enforce the user's ulimit so we
inherit it from root. You can edit /etc/default/rabbitmq-server to
change it.

Note that the management UI is reporting the value returned from
erlang:system_info(check_io):

http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-server/file/44fe807441e7/src/file_handle_cache.erl#l1213

RabbitMQ, VMware

Re: File descriptors (as reported by the management UI)

Ceri Storey
(26/04/13 11:08), Simon MacMullen wrote:
On 26/04/13 10:58, Ben Hood wrote:
What have I potentially missed?

Are you using the .deb?

In that case start-stop-daemon does not enforce the user's ulimit so we inherit it from root. You can edit /etc/default/rabbitmq-server to change it.

I've a feeling that we might have systemd on that box, so for anyone else with the same problem:

I making sure that the following is present in the .service file will do the trick:

[Service]
LimitNOFILE=16384

And of course, restarting. I've been caught out by this a fair few times--the limits in /etc/security/limits.conf only get set on login (or speficially, via PAM) so don't get applied from systemd. But of course, they do get applied when you log in via ssh, hence it's easy to get thrown off.

On 26/04/13 18:26, Ceri Storey wrote:
> I've a feeling that we might have systemd on that box, so for anyone
> else with the same problem:

Ah, thank you!

RabbitMQ, VMware