How to Integrate MDBs with RabbitMQ?

sekhar434
Can any one please tell me whether we can integrate EJB MDB's to work in RabbitMQ? If yes, please let me know what changes are the changes to be done at MDB's and RabbitMQ side?

Re: How to Integrate MDBs with RabbitMQ?

Tim Watson-6
On 3 Sep 2013, at 10:08, Rajasekhar P wrote:
> Can any one please tell me whether we can integrate EJB MDB's to work in RabbitMQ?

What do you mean "work in RabbitMQ" exactly? If you asking about running java components inside the broker, then no, that will not work. RabbitMQ is not written in Java. However you can integrate java components into RabbitMQ via the external-exchange-plugin, and more to the point, you can use spring integration to wire up message driven beans easily. Whether or not there is an EJB 3.x compatibility layer that uses the standard javax EJB annotations, I'm not so sure.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: How to Integrate MDBs with RabbitMQ?

sekhar434
Hi Tim,

We connecting RabbitMQ using Java Client. In the existing project we didn't use RabbitMQ, we have used MDBs for consuming messages. Now we want to replace existing Queue with RabbitMQ. So, for this what changes we need to do in java MDBs in order use in RabbitMQ?

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Tim Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3 Sep 2013, at 10:08, Rajasekhar P wrote:
> Can any one please tell me whether we can integrate EJB MDB's to work in RabbitMQ?

What do you mean "work in RabbitMQ" exactly? If you asking about running java components inside the broker, then no, that will not work. RabbitMQ is not written in Java. However you can integrate java components into RabbitMQ via the external-exchange-plugin, and more to the point, you can use spring integration to wire up message driven beans easily. Whether or not there is an EJB 3.x compatibility layer that uses the standard javax EJB annotations, I'm not so sure.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: How to Integrate MDBs with RabbitMQ?

Gary Russell-2
MDBs require JMS

If you are saying you want to convert your MDBs to message-driven java classes that work with RabbitMQ instead, see the Spring-AMQP reference document, section 3.5 http://static.springsource.org/spring-amqp/reference/html/

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Rajasekhar P <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tim,

We connecting RabbitMQ using Java Client. In the existing project we didn't use RabbitMQ, we have used MDBs for consuming messages. Now we want to replace existing Queue with RabbitMQ. So, for this what changes we need to do in java MDBs in order use in RabbitMQ?

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Tim Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3 Sep 2013, at 10:08, Rajasekhar P wrote:
> Can any one please tell me whether we can integrate EJB MDB's to work in RabbitMQ?

What do you mean "work in RabbitMQ" exactly? If you asking about running java components inside the broker, then no, that will not work. RabbitMQ is not written in Java. However you can integrate java components into RabbitMQ via the external-exchange-plugin, and more to the point, you can use spring integration to wire up message driven beans easily. Whether or not there is an EJB 3.x compatibility layer that uses the standard javax EJB annotations, I'm not so sure.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: How to Integrate MDBs with RabbitMQ?

sekhar434
Yes Gary, MDBs require JMS. I have gone through the documentation which is available in the above URL. So, if we follow these we need to rewrite the consumer code instead of making use of existing MDBs. Rewriting the entire code is only the option or is there any approach which we can make use of MDBs?

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Gary Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
MDBs require JMS

If you are saying you want to convert your MDBs to message-driven java classes that work with RabbitMQ instead, see the Spring-AMQP reference document, section 3.5 http://static.springsource.org/spring-amqp/reference/html/

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Rajasekhar P <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tim,

We connecting RabbitMQ using Java Client. In the existing project we didn't use RabbitMQ, we have used MDBs for consuming messages. Now we want to replace existing Queue with RabbitMQ. So, for this what changes we need to do in java MDBs in order use in RabbitMQ?

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Tim Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3 Sep 2013, at 10:08, Rajasekhar P wrote:
> Can any one please tell me whether we can integrate EJB MDB's to work in RabbitMQ?

What do you mean "work in RabbitMQ" exactly? If you asking about running java components inside the broker, then no, that will not work. RabbitMQ is not written in Java. However you can integrate java components into RabbitMQ via the external-exchange-plugin, and more to the point, you can use spring integration to wire up message driven beans easily. Whether or not there is an EJB 3.x compatibility layer that uses the standard javax EJB annotations, I'm not so sure.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: How to Integrate MDBs with RabbitMQ?

Gordon Sim-2
On 09/03/2013 03:45 PM, Rajasekhar P wrote:
> Yes Gary, MDBs require JMS. I have gone through the documentation which
> is available in the above URL. So, if we follow these we need to rewrite
> the consumer code instead of making use of existing MDBs. Rewriting the
> entire code is only the option or is there any approach which we can
> make use of MDBs?

You could try using the Qpid JMS client. However as far as I know MDB
integration has only been tested over AMQP 0-10. In theory the client
supports other versions including 0-9-1 and there is also a 1.0 based
JMS client, but there may be some issues getting JCA working over those
to your satisfaction. One point to make is that XA transactions would
*not* work over any of the other versions as the specs don't define
support for that.