Meaning of message_stats contents

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Meaning of message_stats contents

John Tuley
Hello,

We're polling the rabbitmq management REST API for stats and would like some help interpreting the response. (If the responses are documented somewhere, a pointer to that will suffice, but we weren't able to find said documentation.)

The response looks like

{ "node": "rabbit@node2", "arguments": {}, "auto_delete": false, "durable": true, "vhost": "/", "name": "NAME", "consumer_details": [ { "arguments": {}, "ack_required": false, "exclusive": false, "consumer_tag": "scooper", "queue": { "vhost": "/", "name": "dropsonde" }, "channel_details": { "peer_host": "IP ADDRESS", "peer_port": 33421, "connection_name": "NAME", "number": 1, "name": "NAME" } } ], "deliveries": [ { "channel_details": { "peer_host": "IP", "peer_port": 33421, "connection_name": "NAME", "number": 1, "name": "NAME" }, "stats": { "deliver_get_details": { "rate": 1.2 }, "deliver_get": 39945, "deliver_no_ack_details": { "rate": 1.2 }, "deliver_no_ack": 39945 } } ], "policy": "test-queue", "messages_unacknowledged_details": { "rate": 0 }, "messages_unacknowledged": 0, "messages_ready_details": { "rate": 0 }, "messages_ready": 0, "messages_details": { "rate": 0 }, "messages": 0, "message_stats": { "publish_details": { "rate": 1 }, "publish": 39946, "deliver_no_ack_details": { "rate": 1.2 }, "deliver_no_ack": 39945, "deliver_get_details": { "rate": 1.2 }, "deliver_get": 39945 }, "exclusive_consumer_tag": "", "consumers": 1, "memory": 109928, "slave_nodes": [ "rabbit@node0", "rabbit@node1" ], "synchronised_slave_nodes": [ "rabbit@node0", "rabbit@node1" ], "backing_queue_status": { "mirror_senders": 0, "mirror_seen": 0, "target_ram_count": "infinity", "pending_acks": 0, "len": 0, "q4": 0, "q3": 0, "delta": [ "delta", "undefined", 0, "undefined" ], "q2": 0, "q1": 0, "ram_msg_count": 0, "ram_ack_count": 0, "next_seq_id": 0, "persistent_count": 0, "avg_ingress_rate": 0, "avg_egress_rate": 0, "avg_ack_ingress_rate": 0, "avg_ack_egress_rate": 0 }, "status": "running", "incoming": [ { "exchange": { "vhost": "/", "name": "" }, "stats": { "publish_details": { "rate": 1 }, "publish": 39946 } } ] }

Specifically, we're wondering about message_stats and the difference between deliver_get and deliver_no_ack. Our use case is a tool that periodically reports the number of messages published to our queue as well as the number of messages delivered (i.e. reporting flow through the queue). (Or maybe message_stats is the wrong place to look for that information?)

Thanks for the help!
– John Tuley and John Foley
Cloud Foundry

_______________________________________________
rabbitmq-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.rabbitmq.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rabbitmq-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Meaning of message_stats contents

Michael Klishin-2
On 21 May 2014 at 13:20:21, John Tuley ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Specifically, we're wondering about message_stats and the
> difference between deliver_get and deliver_no_ack. Our use
> case is a tool that periodically reports the number of messages
> published to our queue as well as the number of messages delivered
> (i.e. reporting flow through the queue). (Or maybe message_stats
> is the wrong place to look for that information?)

The difference is how messages are retrieved: using basic.get (on demand)
or basic.consume (a long-running subscription). message_stats is the right
place to look to collect queue rate samples.
--
MK

Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ
_______________________________________________
rabbitmq-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.rabbitmq.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rabbitmq-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Meaning of message_stats contents

Matthias Radestock-3
On 21/05/14 10:24, Michael Klishin wrote:

> On 21 May 2014 at 13:20:21, John Tuley ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>> Specifically, we're wondering about message_stats and the
>> difference between deliver_get and deliver_no_ack. Our use
>> case is a tool that periodically reports the number of messages
>> published to our queue as well as the number of messages delivered
>> (i.e. reporting flow through the queue). (Or maybe message_stats
>> is the wrong place to look for that information?)
>
> The difference is how messages are retrieved: using basic.get (on demand)
> or basic.consume (a long-running subscription). message_stats is the right
> place to look to collect queue rate samples.

btw, the management UI, in particular its help texts, is a good source
of information for what these values mean, e.g.

"
Deliver (noack)
     Rate at which messages not requiring acknowledgement are being
delivered in response to basic.consume.

Get
     Rate at which messages requiring acknowledgement are being
delivered in response to basic.get.
"

Matthias.

_______________________________________________
rabbitmq-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.rabbitmq.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rabbitmq-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Meaning of message_stats contents

Simon MacMullen-2
On 21/05/2014 10:30, Matthias Radestock wrote:
> btw, the management UI, in particular its help texts, is a good source
> of information for what these values mean, e.g.

Although deliver_get is not completely obvious; it's the sum of deliver,
deliver_noack, get and get_noack. Therefore in your case deliver_noack
and deliver_get have the same value since you are not using acked
delivery or gets of either flavour.

I really need to document this :-/

Cheers, Simon

_______________________________________________
rabbitmq-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.rabbitmq.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rabbitmq-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Meaning of message_stats contents

Simon MacMullen-2
On 21/05/14 10:38, Simon MacMullen wrote:
> I really need to document this :-/

And I have finally started:

http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-management/raw-file/9b44a7aca551/priv/www/doc/stats.html

Apologies to everyone who's waited a long time for this...

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal
_______________________________________________
rabbitmq-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.rabbitmq.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rabbitmq-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Meaning of message_stats contents

John Tuley
Simon,

Thanks for getting that documentation going! It's been very helpful to our project.

– John Tuley


On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Simon MacMullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 21/05/14 10:38, Simon MacMullen wrote:
I really need to document this :-/

And I have finally started:

http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-management/raw-file/9b44a7aca551/priv/www/doc/stats.html

Apologies to everyone who's waited a long time for this...

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal


_______________________________________________
rabbitmq-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.rabbitmq.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rabbitmq-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Meaning of message_stats contents

Matthias Radestock-3
On 27/05/14 15:33, John Tuley wrote:
> Thanks for getting that documentation going! It's been very helpful to
> our project.

Glad you find it useful. Btw, the most up-to-date version of the docs is
at
http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-management/raw-file/default/priv/www/doc/stats.html

Matthias.
_______________________________________________
rabbitmq-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.rabbitmq.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rabbitmq-discuss