PPA debs restart rabbit

Aaron Westendorf
We're using the PPA for rabbit but the current debian files are not suitable for production deployments because they stop and restart the process. I understand the desire to start the process if it was not already running, but embedding the restart logic in the deb means that users have no control over the process. As it is very common to use the PPA within the context of a configuration management system (Salt, Chef, etc), it would be best to leave that decision up to the user.

--
Aaron Westendorf
Lead Engineer | Agora Games

Re: PPA debs restart rabbit

Simon MacMullen-2
On 17/06/14 15:54, Aaron Westendorf wrote:
> We're using the PPA for rabbit but the current debian files are not
> suitable for production deployments because they stop and restart the
> process. I understand the desire to start the process if it was not
> already running, but embedding the restart logic in the deb means that
> users have no control over the process. As it is very common to use the
> PPA within the context of a configuration management system (Salt, Chef,
> etc), it would be best to leave that decision up to the user.

What do you mean by "restart logic"?

I could see the point in adding some START_THE_SERVER variable to
/etc/default/rabbitmq-server, would that help?

Re: PPA debs restart rabbit

Gavin M. Roy-2
I believe he’s saying that when you install the deb (or upgrade it) it automatically starts or restarts rabbitmq-server, causing less than desirable behavior.

From: Simon MacMullen [hidden email]
Reply: Discussions about RabbitMQ [hidden email]
Date: June 20, 2014 at 1:07:33 PM
To: Discussions about RabbitMQ [hidden email], Aaron Westendorf [hidden email]
Subject:  Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] PPA debs restart rabbit

On 17/06/14 15:54, Aaron Westendorf wrote:
> We're using the PPA for rabbit but the current debian files are not
> suitable for production deployments because they stop and restart the
> process. I understand the desire to start the process if it was not
> already running, but embedding the restart logic in the deb means that
> users have no control over the process. As it is very common to use the
> PPA within the context of a configuration management system (Salt, Chef,
> etc), it would be best to leave that decision up to the user.

What do you mean by "restart logic"?

I could see the point in adding some START_THE_SERVER variable to
/etc/default/rabbitmq-server, would that help?

Re: PPA debs restart rabbit

Aaron Westendorf
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. Even "start on first install" has problems in that there may be other preconditions yet to be set, though it is less problematic than automatically restarting.

For now, I've changed our Salt states to freeze to a specific version so that we won't be surprised by a process restart.

From: Simon MacMullen [hidden email]
Reply: Discussions about RabbitMQ [hidden email]
Date: June 20, 2014 at 1:07:33 PM
To: Discussions about RabbitMQ [hidden email], Aaron Westendorf [hidden email]

From: Simon MacMullen [hidden email]
Reply: Discussions about RabbitMQ [hidden email]
Date: June 20, 2014 at 1:07:33 PM
To: Discussions about RabbitMQ [hidden email], Aaron Westendorf [hidden email]

From: Simon MacMullen [hidden email]
Reply: Discussions about RabbitMQ [hidden email]
Date: June 20, 2014 at 1:07:33 PM
To: Discussions about RabbitMQ [hidden email], Aaron Westendorf [hidden email]

On 17/06/14 15:54, Aaron Westendorf wrote:
> We're using the PPA for rabbit but the current debian files are not
> suitable for production deployments because they stop and restart the
> process. I understand the desire to start the process if it was not
> already running, but embedding the restart logic in the deb means that
> users have no control over the process. As it is very common to use the
> PPA within the context of a configuration management system (Salt, Chef,
> etc), it would be best to leave that decision up to the user.

What do you mean by "restart logic"?

I could see the point in adding some START_THE_SERVER variable to
/etc/default/rabbitmq-server, would that help?

Aaron Westendorf
Lead Engineer | Agora Games

Aaron Westendorf
Lead Engineer | Agora Games

Aaron Westendorf
Lead Engineer | Agora Games

Re: PPA debs restart rabbit

Simon MacMullen-2
I'm afraid we haven't had time to work on this.

Cheers, Simon