Quantcast

RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

Denis Conan-4

Hi all,

my objective is to run the Java Client on Android.

Do not hesitate to tell me if I started off with the wrong idea.

I didn't see any specific release for Android. So, I took the Java Client for
J2SE. I was able to adapt the previous version 2.2.0 of the Java Client for
running on Android: removal of packages json and jsonrpc, and correct a call to
super in the constructor of the class PossibleAuthenticationFailureException.

As I see, the new version 2.3.1 now has authentication with SASL.
Unfortunately, there is no package javax.security.sasl in Android JRE. So, I
tried to manage this lack by replacing the classes of this package by the ones
in aSMACK (http://code.google.com/p/asmack/). The compilation is ok, but the
execution throws the following exception.

Any comment and/or help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

java.io.IOException: No compatible authentication mechanism found - server
offered [PLAIN AMQPLAIN]
W/System.err(  275): at
com.rabbitmq.client.impl.AMQConnection.start(AMQConnection.java:269)
W/System.err(  275): at
com.rabbitmq.client.ConnectionFactory.newConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:382)
W/System.err(  275): at
com.rabbitmq.client.ConnectionFactory.newConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:402)
W/System.err(  275): at
eu.telecomsudparis.rabbitmq.tutorial.android.SendActivity.onCreate(SendActivity.java:26)
W/System.err(  275): at
android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1047)

The RabbitMQ server logs contains the following message:

=INFO REPORT==== 8-Feb-2011::13:07:27 ===
accepted TCP connection on [::]:5672 from 157.159.110.134:60291

=INFO REPORT==== 8-Feb-2011::13:07:27 ===
starting TCP connection <0.22221.0> from 157.159.110.134:60291

=ERROR REPORT==== 8-Feb-2011::13:07:37 ===
exception on TCP connection <0.22221.0> from 157.159.110.134:60291
{handshake_timeout,frame_header}

=INFO REPORT==== 8-Feb-2011::13:07:37 ===
closing TCP connection <0.22221.0> from 157.159.110.134:60291

--
Denis Conan

Re: RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

Simon MacMullen-2
Hi Denis.

On 08/02/11 12:38, Denis Conan wrote:
> my objective is to run the Java Client on Android.
>
> Do not hesitate to tell me if I started off with the wrong idea.

That's... not unreasonable. We don't guarantee that the Java client will
run on Android (in particular we don't test it).

> I didn't see any specific release for Android. So, I took the Java
> Client for J2SE. I was able to adapt the previous version 2.2.0 of the
> Java Client for running on Android: removal of packages json and
> jsonrpc, and correct a call to super in the constructor of the class
> PossibleAuthenticationFailureException.

Ironically I think that might be fixed in 2.3.1 (it was also
incompatible with Java 1.5).

> As I see, the new version 2.3.1 now has authentication with SASL.
> Unfortunately, there is no package javax.security.sasl in Android JRE.
> So, I tried to manage this lack by replacing the classes of this package
> by the ones in aSMACK (http://code.google.com/p/asmack/). The
> compilation is ok, but the execution throws the following exception.

...but it would be a pity if the introduction of more SASL mechanisms
were to make it unusable on Android.

> java.io.IOException: No compatible authentication mechanism found -
> server offered [PLAIN AMQPLAIN]

So whatever SASL implementation you've cooked up somehow does not
support PLAIN (I would not expect it to support AMQPLAIN).

This seems odd, as it looks like Smack contains support for PLAIN:

http://code.google.com/p/asmack/source/browse/src/custom/de/measite/smack/SaslClientFactory.java

If you can't get this working, then you can of course stick with the
2.2.0 client and an upgraded server. But being stuck with an old client
isn't fun, so I'll have a think about how easy it would be to patch the
old homebrew SASL back in for Android.

Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ
SpringSource, a division of VMware

On 11/02/11 10:47, Simon MacMullen wrote:
> If you can't get this working, then you can of course stick with the
> 2.2.0 client and an upgraded server. But being stuck with an old client
> isn't fun, so I'll have a think about how easy it would be to patch the
> old homebrew SASL back in for Android.

Attached is a minimal patch to remove javax.security.sasl from 2.3.1's
AMQConnection.java and do PLAIN by hand. Any other class that imports
javax.security.sasl can just be deleted.

I haven't tested this on Android, and it will blow up if the server has
PLAIN disabled, but it may help you.

unsasl.patch (2K) Download Attachment

Le 11/02/2011 11:47, Simon MacMullen a écrit :
> Hi Denis.
>
> On 08/02/11 12:38, Denis Conan wrote:
>> my objective is to run the Java Client on Android.
>>
>> Do not hesitate to tell me if I started off with the wrong idea.
>
> That's... not unreasonable. We don't guarantee that the Java client will
> run on Android (in particular we don't test it).

Hello,

thank you for your detailed answer and for the patch (not already tested).

Are you willing to consider the support of Android Java clients in the future?
or do you consider that AMQP clients for smartphones are out of the scope of
RabbitMQ target?

>> I didn't see any specific release for Android. So, I took the Java
>> Client for J2SE. I was able to adapt the previous version 2.2.0 of the
>> Java Client for running on Android: removal of packages json and
>> jsonrpc, and correct a call to super in the constructor of the class
>> PossibleAuthenticationFailureException.
>
> Ironically I think that might be fixed in 2.3.1 (it was also
> incompatible with Java 1.5).

Yes, of course, I have noticed the change.

>> As I see, the new version 2.3.1 now has authentication with SASL.
>> Unfortunately, there is no package javax.security.sasl in Android JRE.
>> So, I tried to manage this lack by replacing the classes of this package
>> by the ones in aSMACK (http://code.google.com/p/asmack/). The
>> compilation is ok, but the execution throws the following exception.
>
> ...but it would be a pity if the introduction of more SASL mechanisms
> were to make it unusable on Android.
>
>> java.io.IOException: No compatible authentication mechanism found -
>> server offered [PLAIN AMQPLAIN]
>
> So whatever SASL implementation you've cooked up somehow does not
> support PLAIN (I would not expect it to support AMQPLAIN).
>
> This seems odd, as it looks like Smack contains support for PLAIN:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/asmack/source/browse/src/custom/de/measite/smack/SaslClientFactory.java

If it seems odd to you, then I need to investigate more. I will let you know if
more successful.

> If you can't get this working, then you can of course stick with the
> 2.2.0 client and an upgraded server. But being stuck with an old client
> isn't fun, so I'll have a think about how easy it would be to patch the
> old homebrew SASL back in for Android.
>
> Cheers, Simon

Cheers

On 16/02/2011 2:52PM, Denis Conan wrote:
> Are you willing to consider the support of Android Java clients in the
> future? or do you consider that AMQP clients for smartphones are out of
> the scope of RabbitMQ target?

Good question. It seems that the existing Java client is close enough to
being Android compatible that it would be a pity not to. On the other
hand, I don't think any of us have experience with Android development
so there may be subtleties I'm missing. We're looking into it at the moment.

Re: RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

simon dixon-2
>Are you willing to consider the support of Android Java clients in the future?
>or do you consider that AMQP clients for smartphones are out of the scope of
>RabbitMQ target?

+1 for rabbitMQ support on android, i'm also using it

Cheers
Simon

--
Simon Dixon

\ PRETTY

E:  [hidden email]
W: www.pretty.co.uk

A: 11 clink street studios
A: London SE1 9DG

F: 087 1433 4095
T: 020 7378 8815

Re: RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

Miguel Morales
Same here.  I setup a project to test it some time ago:
https://github.com/therevoltingx/rabbitmq_android_test
The biggest issue at the time was the objects being allocated for
every message.  This wrecked havoc in the android GC.

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM, simon dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>Are you willing to consider the support of Android Java clients in the
>> future?
>>or do you consider that AMQP clients for smartphones are out of the scope
>> of
>>RabbitMQ target?
> +1 for rabbitMQ support on android, i'm also using it
> Cheers
> Simon
>
> --
> Simon Dixon
>
> \ PRETTY
>
> E:  [hidden email]
> W: www.pretty.co.uk
>
> A: 11 clink street studios
> A: London SE1 9DG
>
> F: 087 1433 4095
> T: 020 7378 8815

~ Jeremiah:9:23-24
Android 2D MMORPG: http://developingthedream.blogspot.com/,
http://www.youtube.com/user/revoltingx

Re: RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

Davorin Rusevljan
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Miguel Morales
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>Are you willing to consider the support of Android Java clients in the
>>> future?
>>>or do you consider that AMQP clients for smartphones are out of the scope
>>> of
>>>RabbitMQ target?
>> +1 for rabbitMQ support on android, i'm also using it

+1 Android platform is about to become very important one, it would be
a pity to miss it.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

Max Bridgewater
Anybody wants to join pitching in some bounties so the android API be
made production ready? I know RabbitMQ is now part of
SpringSource/VMWare, but nothing prevents the community from taking
leadership on some of the initiatives.

That is, having sufficient bounties to motivate a community member
might as well be a viable solution.

Max.

Le 20/02/2011 23:11, Miguel Morales a écrit :
> Same here.  I setup a project to test it some time ago:
> https://github.com/therevoltingx/rabbitmq_android_test
> The biggest issue at the time was the objects being allocated for
> every message.  This wrecked havoc in the android GC.

Hello,

it seems you started from a C library. Why not starting from the Java Client
library?

With version 2.2.0, by removing the package json and modifying a few other
classes, I obtained a version running on Android... Another issue appears with
version 2.3.1 which is authentication.

CU

Denis

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM, simon dixon<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Are you willing to consider the support of Android Java clients in the
>>> future?
>>> or do you consider that AMQP clients for smartphones are out of the scope
>>> of
>>> RabbitMQ target?
>> +1 for rabbitMQ support on android, i'm also using it
>> Cheers
>> Simon
>>
>> --
>> Simon Dixon
>>
>> \ PRETTY
>>
>> E:  [hidden email]
>> W: www.pretty.co.uk
>>
>> A: 11 clink street studios
>> A: London SE1 9DG
>>
>> F: 087 1433 4095
>> T: 020 7378 8815

Re: RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

Miguel Morales
I actually just experimented with the rabbitmq-c library, I did start
with the java library.
You can see it in the libs/ directory, I forget which version that one
is.  I believe it's pre 2.0
Everything works ok, but consuming messages fast will cause many GC
allocations leaving it only for basic usage.

2011/2/21 Denis Conan <[hidden email]>:

> Le 20/02/2011 23:11, Miguel Morales a écrit :
>>
>> Same here.  I setup a project to test it some time ago:
>> https://github.com/therevoltingx/rabbitmq_android_test
>> The biggest issue at the time was the objects being allocated for
>> every message.  This wrecked havoc in the android GC.
>
> Hello,
>
> it seems you started from a C library. Why not starting from the Java Client
> library?
>
> With version 2.2.0, by removing the package json and modifying a few other
> classes, I obtained a version running on Android... Another issue appears
> with version 2.3.1 which is authentication.
>
> CU

>>> +1 for rabbitMQ support on android, i'm also using it
>>> Cheers
>>> Simon
>>>
>>> --
>>> Simon Dixon
>>>
>>> \ PRETTY
>>>
>>> E:  [hidden email]
>>> W: www.pretty.co.uk
>>>
>>> A: 11 clink street studios
>>> A: London SE1 9DG
>>>
>>> F: 087 1433 4095
>>> T: 020 7378 8815

~ Jeremiah:9:23-24
Android 2D MMORPG: http://developingthedream.blogspot.com/,
http://www.youtube.com/user/revoltingx

Re: RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

bruce bushby-5

This may be slightly off topic ....RabbitMQ C client builds perfectly when added to the "buildroot" framework.
I had to patch uClibc with "posix_spawn" which was taken from glibc.
I've not had a chance to send any messages yet, will post an update if there are any problems.

./usr/lib/librabbitmq.so.0.0.0: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
./usr/bin/amqp-delete-queue:    ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
./usr/bin/amqp-consume:         ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
./usr/bin/amqp-get:             ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
./usr/bin/amqp-declare-queue:   ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
./usr/bin/amqp-publish:         ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Miguel Morales <[hidden email]> wrote:
I actually just experimented with the rabbitmq-c library, I did start
with the java library.
You can see it in the libs/ directory, I forget which version that one
is.  I believe it's pre 2.0
Everything works ok, but consuming messages fast will cause many GC
allocations leaving it only for basic usage.

2011/2/21 Denis Conan <[hidden email]>:
> Le 20/02/2011 23:11, Miguel Morales a écrit :
>>
>> Same here.  I setup a project to test it some time ago:
>> https://github.com/therevoltingx/rabbitmq_android_test
>> The biggest issue at the time was the objects being allocated for
>> every message.  This wrecked havoc in the android GC.
>
> Hello,
>
> it seems you started from a C library. Why not starting from the Java Client
> library?
>
> With version 2.2.0, by removing the package json and modifying a few other
> classes, I obtained a version running on Android... Another issue appears
> with version 2.3.1 which is authentication.
>
> CU

>>> +1 for rabbitMQ support on android, i'm also using it
>>> Cheers
>>> Simon
>>>
>>> --
>>> Simon Dixon
>>>
>>> \ PRETTY
>>>
>>> E:  [hidden email]
>>> W: www.pretty.co.uk
>>>
>>> A: 11 clink street studios
>>> A: London SE1 9DG
>>>
>>> F: 087 1433 4095
>>> T: 020 7378 8815

~ Jeremiah:9:23-24
Android 2D MMORPG: http://developingthedream.blogspot.com/,
http://www.youtube.com/user/revoltingx

RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

Steve Powell-2
Several posts here have shown an interest in getting (and maintaining) the Java Client running on Android.

We now have a Bugzilla request which addresses this.  We will be aiming to get the standard Java Client to run on Android with reasonable performance (i.e. not too many GCs). General improvements to the Java Client will be made available on the Android platform as a matter of course.

I am new to the Android space (just now trying the SDK and Eclipse ADT plugin on a Mac) so if you have any information regarding patches, workarounds, noticed issues, or general advice, please can you post here, or contact me directly.

Thank you.
Steve Powell
<[hidden email]>

Re: RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

Steve Powell-2
Dear MJ,

[Due to a glitch in the mail here my reply may not have reached you, and I certainly didn't put it on the m/l.  Here is a better answer:]

The patch file Simon put up is a simple diff file which modifies the src/com/rabbitmq/client/impl/AMQConnection.java file in the source code of the java-client plug-in.

The way to use it is to get the rabbitmq-java-client source, apply the patch to the java file (patch, or hg patch or however you want) and then re-build the java-client.

If you have not done so, I recommend looking at the plug-in development page, section Getting Started[1], on the rabbit  website www.rabbitmq.com, which guides you through the checkout of the plug-in development umbrella repository, in which the java-client plug-in can be re-built.

Hope this helps,

Steve Powell

On 10 Mar 2011, at 02:52, Muesli John wrote:

Hi,

How exactly is this patch to be used? How do I run it?

Thanks.

MJ.

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Simon MacMullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
. . . <elided> . . .

Re: RabbitMQ Java Client 2.3.1 on Android

Steve Powell-2
Whoops -- Matthias pointed out the java-client repository isn't in public-umbrella (Java client isn't a plug-in), so my 'helpful' instructions are bogus.

Better, go and look at this http://www.rabbitmq.com/build-java-client.html to see how to build the java-client.

In those instructions, the 'ant dist' build step will produce a jar in the build/lib directory called rabbitmq-client.jar.

[If you clone the java-client repository in the public-umbrella, you will find that the codegen repository is gotten for you, so that is why I misled myself (and you) -- sorry.]

On 14 Mar 2011, at 11:08, Steve Powell wrote:

[...]

. . .<elided>. . .