RabbitMQ and AMQP 0-10?

Gotthard, Petr

Hello,

Could you please clarify a bit what is so different in AMQP 0-10 so that “RabbitMQ is unlikely ever to support AMQP 0-10” as said  here: https://www.rabbitmq.com/specification.html?

Thanks,

Petr

Re: RabbitMQ and AMQP 0-10?

Simon MacMullen-2
On 31/07/13 16:06, Gotthard, Petr wrote:
> Could you please clarify a bit what is so different in AMQP 0-10 so that
> “RabbitMQ is unlikely ever to support AMQP 0-10” as said  here:
> https://www.rabbitmq.com/specification.html?

Pretty much everything is different.

You should probably download and read the AMQP 0-10 spec from
http://www.amqp.org/specification/0-10/amqp-org-download to get a good
handle on that question.

But AMQP 0-9-1, 0-10 and 1.0 really are all quite different from each
other. They all have different codecs, different commands sets, and
different semantics.

The AMQP 1.0 implementation in RabbitMQ shares essentially no code in
common with the 0-9-1 implementation. Any putative support for 0-10
would be another from-scratch implementation - and we don't really see
there being enough demand for it.

Re: RabbitMQ and AMQP 0-10?

Alexis Richardson-5
Petr

0-10 is several hundred pages long and has very little client support.
 It attempts to add a number of features that are better done in other
ways.

alexis

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Gotthard, Petr
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could you please clarify a bit what is so different in AMQP 0-10 so that
> “RabbitMQ is unlikely ever to support AMQP 0-10” as said  here:
> https://www.rabbitmq.com/specification.html?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Petr

Re: RabbitMQ and AMQP 0-10?

On 31/07/13 16:31, Simon MacMullen wrote:
> But AMQP 0-9-1, 0-10 and 1.0 really are all quite different from each
> other. They all have different codecs, different commands sets, and
> different semantics.

It's also worth noting that AMQP 0-9-1 was released *after* 0-10.

Re: RabbitMQ and AMQP 0-10?

Gordon Sim-2
On 07/31/2013 04:31 PM, Simon MacMullen wrote:

> On 31/07/13 16:06, Gotthard, Petr wrote:
>> Could you please clarify a bit what is so different in AMQP 0-10 so that
>> “RabbitMQ is unlikely ever to support AMQP 0-10” as said  here:
>> https://www.rabbitmq.com/specification.html?
>
> Pretty much everything is different.
>
> You should probably download and read the AMQP 0-10 spec from
> http://www.amqp.org/specification/0-10/amqp-org-download to get a good
> handle on that question.
>
> But AMQP 0-9-1, 0-10 and 1.0 really are all quite different from each
> other. They all have different codecs, different commands sets, and
> different semantics.
>
> The AMQP 1.0 implementation in RabbitMQ shares essentially no code in
> common with the 0-9-1 implementation. Any putative support for 0-10
> would be another from-scratch implementation - and we don't really see
> there being enough demand for it.

I agree. With increasing support for 1.0, going back to add 0-10 support
doesn't make much sense. For interoperability with AMQP, 1.0 is where it
will happen.

Most clients that support 0-10 now also support 1.0 through the same
API, so switching may be possible. You can also do bridging between 0-10
and 1.0 using e.g. qpidd. I have had success with (admittedly quite
simple) tests between qpid::messaging, qpidd and RabbitMQ over 1.0.