Quantcast

RabbitMQ config file.

radha_mit

Hi,

            We are evaluating rabbitMQ’s performance for our use cases. We are using rabbitmq-server-1.7.2  ( downloaded under the heading generic Linux ). Since our linux machine RAM is 8 GB and it is a 32 bit machine. RabbitMQ takes 1638 MB and it prints it in the logs. How ever when I want to increase the size by using   {rabbit, [{vm_memory_high_watermark,  2.0}]} the rabbitMQ server is not recognizing this configuration change  at all.

I did a change in the rabbitmq-server file pointing CONFIG_FILE=/home/ppoker/MessagingPOC/RabbitMQ/rabbitmq     rabbitmq.config is my file name.

Earlier, in the default run. You have mentioned that the default config file for generic unix will be in /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config. I did not get this file there.

Where am I going wrong ?

Please suggest me a solution and a sample copy of the rabbitmq.config file.

Also please clear us about the difference between rabbitmq.conf file and rabbitmq.config file.

Thanks and Regards,

D.Radhakrishnan
Trainee Engineer-Architecture

IVY Comptech Private Limited
Cyber Spazio,Road No 2, Banjara Hills,
Hyderabad-500034, Andhra Pradesh.

Phone + 91 (40) 66721000 – 4638
Mobile + 91 (0) 9030842104

This email and any attachments are confidential, legally privileged and protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination or copying this email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by replying by email and then delete the email completely from your system.

Any views or opinions are solely those of  the sender. This communication is not intended to form a binding contract unless expressly indicated to the contrary and properly authorized. Any actions taken on the basis of this email are at recipient’s own risk.

This email is sent for and on behalf of Ivy Comptech Private Limited. Ivy Comptech Private Limited is a limited liability company.

This email and any attachments are confidential, and may be legally privileged and protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by replying by email and then delete the email completely from your system. Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender.  This communication is not intended to form a binding contract on behalf of Ivy Comptech Private Limited unless expressly indicated to the contrary and properly authorised. Any actions taken on the basis of this email are at the recipient's own risk.

Registered Office:

Ivy Comptech Private Limited, Cyber Spazio, Road No. 2, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad 500 033, Andhra Pradesh, India.

Registered number: 37994. Registered in India. A list of members' names is available for inspection at the registered office.

Re: RabbitMQ config file.

Alexis Richardson-5
Radha

Please could you tell us a bit more about your use cases?

Best wishes

alexis

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Radha Krishnan D
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> privileged and protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient
> dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received
> this in error, please notify the sender by replying by email and then delete
> the email completely from your system. Any views or opinions are solely
> those of the sender.  This communication is not intended to form a binding
> contract on behalf of Ivy Comptech Private Limited unless expressly
> indicated to the contrary and properly authorised. Any actions taken on the
> basis of this email are at the recipient's own risk.
>
> Registered Office:
>
> Ivy Comptech Private Limited, Cyber Spazio, Road No. 2, Banjara Hills,
> Hyderabad 500 033, Andhra Pradesh, India.
>
> Registered number: 37994. Registered in India. A list of members' names is
> available for inspection at the registered office.

Hi alex,

We are now trying to sent messages from one producer to the exchange and a consumer takes that message from the queue binded to that exchange.

In the producer side :
-------------------------

10 threads send messages continuosly

In the receiver side
----------------------

One thread receives all messages.

we used the default configuration of rabbitmq-server and start the test.

In the logs it has printed saying 1638MB of memory is used.

After some time, the server runs out of memory and says Erlang has closed.
We don t know how to increase the size from 1638 MB.

we tried defining a new config file but the rabbitmq server is not recognizing it even though we specified the path in the rabbitmq-server file.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender.  This communication is not intended to form a binding contract on behalf of Ivy Comptech Private Limited unless expressly indicated to the contrary and properly authorised. Any actions taken on the basis of this email are at the recipient's own risk.

Registered office:
Ivy Comptech Private Limited, Cyber Spazio, Road No. 2, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad 500 033, Andhra Pradesh, India. Registered number: 37994. Registered in India. A list of members' names is available for inspection at the registered office.

That problem is solved now.

[
    {mnesia, [{dump_log_write_threshold, 1000}]},
    {rabbit, [{vm_memory_high_watermark,  2.0}]}
]
.

This is our config file. The problem was that we did not add the . (dot) at the end of the config file.

Now I sent 80000 messages of size 1933 bytes from producer to the broker.
The consumer receives 76000 at one run , 68000 at another run.
There is a drop of messages.

We are using amq.topic mode. Please help us how to solve the message dropping problem.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender.  This communication is not intended to form a binding contract on behalf of Ivy Comptech Private Limited unless expressly indicated to the contrary and properly authorised. Any actions taken on the basis of this email are at the recipient's own risk.

Registered office:
Ivy Comptech Private Limited, Cyber Spazio, Road No. 2, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad 500 033, Andhra Pradesh, India. Registered number: 37994. Registered in India. A list of members' names is available for inspection at the registered office.

Matthew Sackman
Hi Radha,

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:05:55PM +0530, Radha Krishnan D wrote:
> We are using rabbitmq-server-1.7.2  ( downloaded under the heading
> generic Linux ). Since our linux machine RAM is 8 GB and it is a 32 bit
> machine. RabbitMQ takes 1638 MB and it prints it in the logs. How ever
> when I want to increase the size by using   {rabbit,
> [{vm_memory_high_watermark,  2.0}]} the rabbitMQ server is not
> recognizing this configuration change  at all.

Err, if you're using a 32-bit OS, it's not going to be able to allocate
more than 4GB to any single application. The 0.4 by default then looks
to be correct, as 1638/0.4 = 4095, i.e. 4GB.

The 0.4 is carefully chosen to accomodate the possibility of Erlang's GC
temporarily using up an awful lot more RAM. If you ever have the case
where Erlang runs out of address space then it will crash, and take down
Rabbit with it.

I believe from your subsequent email that you've sorted out the
configuration issue.

> Also please clear us about the difference between rabbitmq.conf file and
> rabbitmq.config file.

.conf is a shell file which should be used to set environment variables
which influence Rabbit. .config is an Erlang term file. Originally we
only had the .conf file. However as time passed, and we needed to allow
more complex configurations, the .config file came along (which is also
used for configuring plugins). Currently, it's a bit of a mess as some
things you can configure in either place, and others you can't. We have
a fairly high priority bug to unify, document and generally sort all of
this out.

Matthew

Re: RabbitMQ config file.

Matthew Sackman
On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 09:42:00AM +0530, Radha Krishnan D wrote:
> Now I sent 80000 messages of size 1933 bytes from producer to the broker.
> The consumer receives 76000 at one run , 68000 at another run.
> There is a drop of messages.

How do you know that the queues are empty? Also, are you certain the
queues exist before the publishes begin?

Matthew