Re: Any message priority support schedule?

Re: Any message priority support schedule?

Chris-3
Hi All,

More than a year ago, someone asked if message priority might be implemented in the near future.  I'm ressurrecting this thread now to ask again.  Are we any closer to seeing support for Message Priority in RabbitMQ?  It seems to be one of the very few AMQP "MUST"s that is not yet supported.

Thanks,
Chris

Subject:Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] Any message priority support schedule? permalink
From:Francesco Mazzoli (fran...@rabbitmq.com)
Date:Aug 15, 2012 10:08:51 am
List:com.rabbitmq.lists.rabbitmq-discuss

Hi Markiyan,

At Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:02:08 +0300, Markiyan Kushnir wrote:

Could anybody please shed light on when message priority support would be added to RabbitMQ? I'm aware of workarounds like "priority-dedicated" queues or shifting the priority management completely to the application side. I'm now considering several approaches, and with the priority support in the RabbitMQ my applications and the infrastructure would become simpler.

Right now nobody is working on it. We've had a bug open for a long time and we plan to implement it at some point, but it's not on our list of things to do now, so it won't happen soon.

-- Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt

Re: Any message priority support schedule?

Emile Joubert

Hi Chris,

On 10/01/14 17:09, Chris wrote:

> More than a year ago, someone asked if message priority might be
> implemented in the near future.  I'm ressurrecting this thread now to
> ask again.  Are we any closer to seeing support for Message Priority in
> RabbitMQ?  It seems to be one of the very few AMQP "MUST"s that is not
> yet supported.

I'm afraid not. This feature has low priority because it is easy to
emulate priorities by using separate queues for each priority.

-Emile

Re: Any message priority support schedule?

Michael Klishin-2
On 13 Jan 2014, at 18:21, Emile Joubert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm afraid not. This feature has low priority because it is easy to
> emulate priorities by using separate queues for each priority.

…and give different priorities to consumers on those queues:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/consumer-priority.html

On 13 Jan 2014, at 18:42, Michael Klishin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> …and give different priorities to consumers on those queues:
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/consumer-priority.html

Actually, this is incorrect, consumer priorities assume a shared queue.

Re: Any message priority support schedule?

Chris-3
Thanks for the update.  In our use case, we potentially have hundreds of queues.  While we could multiply by the # of priorities, it would be a lot cleaner if we didn't have too.  It would also prevent us from having to modify all of our consumers to deal with multiple priority queues.

I think that true priorities would make the queue topology a lot simpler (and smaller) and the consumer implementation a lot simpler as well.  It would also allow a smoother transition to RabbitMQ for those already using priorities in other AMQP brokers (like Qpid) or JMS brokers (like ActiveMQ).  IMHO, it's surprising that more people aren't asking for this, but I guess it is what it is.

Thanks (as always) for the response and suggestions!

-Chris

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Michael Klishin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13 Jan 2014, at 18:42, Michael Klishin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> …and give different priorities to consumers on those queues:
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/consumer-priority.html

Actually, this is incorrect, consumer priorities assume a shared queue.

Re: Any message priority support schedule?

Jonathan Holland
Personally, I find the concept of a FIFO queue and message priorities in conflict, and it leads towards brittle overall architecture. I blame JMS for introducing this group-think into so many EA's heads.

Why do you need message priorities? Perhaps we can discuss your use case and see if it necessary at all.