Quantcast

Re: Scala remote actors [was Re: Intro]

Steve Jenson
That's an interesting idea. So far, the Java libraries are working
fine for me, though. Speaking of, I wrote a quick hack to serialize
objects into a RabbitMQ cluster using Scala.

Client:
http://sieve.net/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=Steve%27s+Happy+Time+Petri+Dish&path=%2Fhacks%2FClient.scala

"Server":
http://sieve.net/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=Steve%27s+Happy+Time+Petri+Dish&path=%2Fhacks%2FServer.scala

And the class definition for Multiplication lies in here:
http://sieve.net/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=Steve%27s+Happy+Time+Petri+Dish&path=%2Fhacks%2FMain.scala

One thing that's not clear to me from the javadoc is how to keep my
client processing new messages coming into the queue instead of
exiting at the end. Am I supposed to wrap the call to
channel.basicConsume around a busy-loop or is there a better
mechanism?

Thanks,
Steve

On 8/6/07, Matthias Radestock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> "Steve Jenson" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I just added myself to the rabbitmq-discuss list. I've CC'd this
> > discussion there (and removed all the original CC email addresses) so
> > we can keep it flying!
>
> Cheers.
>
> I have just looked at API docs for Scala's actors. Looks like they have
> moved on quite a bit since I last checked them out and have become much
> more Erlang-like. Has anybody investigated hooking them into an Erlang
> system directly, via Erlang's Jinterface?
>
> This would only give you AMQP interop via a rather indirect route,
> i.e. by invoking RabbitMQ's Erlang API, which Ben Hood has been working
> on; see mailing list archives. So it is no substitute for an AMQP
> binding along the lines I suggested. It would be an interesting project
> though, providing seamless interop between Erlang processes and Scala
> actors.
>

> Matthias.

Re: Scala remote actors [was Re: Intro]

Matthias Radestock-2
Steve Jenson wrote:
> I wrote a quick hack to serialize objects into a RabbitMQ cluster using Scala.

That looks pretty neat.

> One thing that's not clear to me from the javadoc is how to keep my
> client processing new messages coming into the queue instead of
> exiting at the end. Am I supposed to wrap the call to
> channel.basicConsume around a busy-loop or is there a better
> mechanism?

Any mechanism that stops the program from terminating will do. So, for
example, you could spawn a thread and make it wait for something.

Matthias