STOMP support - production ready?

Daniel Pittman
G'day.

We have a need for messaging infrastructure in a few places at work, and a
couple of those are integrating with the third party tools that have selected
the STOMP protocol for messaging.

I know RabbitMQ offers a STOMP plugin, and back in '08 y'all considered it
experimental, but I can't find any more recent evidence of status.

So, is the STOMP support reasonably production ready?

More specifically, is it going to be stable enough that we can use it for
non-core activities, without risking problems for real AMQP clients doing more
serious work?

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ [hidden email]            ☎ +61 401 155 707

Re: STOMP support - production ready?

Tony Garnock-Jones-2
Hi Daniel,

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> I know RabbitMQ offers a STOMP plugin, and back in '08 y'all considered it
> experimental, but I can't find any more recent evidence of status.
>
> So, is the STOMP support reasonably production ready?
>
> More specifically, is it going to be stable enough that we can use it for
> non-core activities, without risking problems for real AMQP clients doing more
> serious work?

The plugin hasn't changed much in recent months, people have been using it in
production for a long time now, and I don't personally plan on making any large
changes to it, so it feels relatively stable to me -- but please don't take
that as an official announcement, it's just my own feelings on the matter!

With regard to risk for AMQP clients connected to the same broker: Erlang
enforces reasonable levels of isolation between clients. If an individual STOMP
connection, or even the whole STOMP plugin, crashes, the rest of the broker
will in most situations continue to run unaffected.

Regards,
  Tony

Tony Garnock-Jones <[hidden email]> writes:

> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> I know RabbitMQ offers a STOMP plugin, and back in '08 y'all considered it
>> experimental, but I can't find any more recent evidence of status.
>>
>> So, is the STOMP support reasonably production ready?
>>
>> More specifically, is it going to be stable enough that we can use it for
>> non-core activities, without risking problems for real AMQP clients doing more
>> serious work?
>
> The plugin hasn't changed much in recent months, people have been using it in
> production for a long time now, and I don't personally plan on making any large
> changes to it, so it feels relatively stable to me -- but please don't take
> that as an official announcement, it's just my own feelings on the matter!

*nod*  Between that, and a couple of private replies indicating that it is
reliable enough for people to deploy, I am pretty comfortable.  Especially
because the architecture of RabbitMQ means that, as you say, a failure doesn't
hurt anything but the STOMP support.

I see that there is a bit of Debian packaging ephemera in the stomp Mercurial
repository, and that the rabbitmq-public-umbrella module also includes some
support for it.

I couldn't see, though, any advice on the site or the list archives about how
best to go ahead and build a Debian package for the extension.

Is that documented somewhere, or am I going to have to troll through the build
system and work that out myself?

All I really care about is building the STOMP adapter against release 1.7.2,
and perhaps about trialing the JSON-RPC module at some point in the future.

        Daniel

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ [hidden email]            ☎ +61 401 155 707

Re: STOMP support - production ready?

Matthias Radestock-3
Daniel,

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> I see that there is a bit of Debian packaging ephemera in the stomp Mercurial
> repository, and that the rabbitmq-public-umbrella module also includes some
> support for it.
>
> I couldn't see, though, any advice on the site or the list archives about how
> best to go ahead and build a Debian package for the extension.
>
> Is that documented somewhere, or am I going to have to troll through the build
> system and work that out myself?

The latter, I'm afraid.

We are planning to make binary releases of some plug-ins available, but
that is still some way off.