Turning off rabbit logging

Mark Steele-4
Is there a method to turn off rabbit's logging? I've poked around the documentation (administration guide), and have come up empty handed.

--
Mark Steele
Director of development

Re: Turning off rabbit logging

Matthew Sackman
On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:35:29PM -0500, Mark Steele wrote:
> Is there a method to turn off rabbit's logging? I've poked around the
> documentation (administration guide), and have come up empty handed.

Nope. You could always just redirect the logs to /dev/null.

Matthew

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 10:15:26PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:35:29PM -0500, Mark Steele wrote:
> > Is there a method to turn off rabbit's logging? I've poked around the
> > documentation (administration guide), and have come up empty handed.
>
> Nope. You could always just redirect the logs to /dev/null.

Actually, I've just done some more digging into this. If you put in your
/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf
SERVER_START_ARGS="-kernel error_logger silent"

then you'll not get the main log. However, it's debatable whether that
should really work. You also can't turn of the sasl log from there (for
some reason). Much better is to edit your rabbitmq-server script and
change the two lines at the bottom which look like:

    -kernel error_logger '{file,"'${RABBITMQ_LOGS}'"}' \
    -sasl sasl_error_logger '{file,"'${RABBITMQ_SASL_LOGS}'"}' \

    -kernel error_logger silent \
    -sasl sasl_error_logger false \

Then you'll get rid of both of them.

Matthew

Re: Turning off rabbit logging

Martin Wilhelm-2
On 07.01.2010 23:31, Matthew Sackman wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 10:15:26PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:35:29PM -0500, Mark Steele wrote:
>>> Is there a method to turn off rabbit's logging? I've poked around the
>>> documentation (administration guide), and have come up empty handed.
>>
>> Nope. You could always just redirect the logs to /dev/null.
>
> Actually, I've just done some more digging into this. If you put in your
> /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf
> SERVER_START_ARGS="-kernel error_logger silent"
>
> then you'll not get the main log. However, it's debatable whether that
> should really work. You also can't turn of the sasl log from there (for
> some reason). Much better is to edit your rabbitmq-server script and
> change the two lines at the bottom which look like:
>
>      -kernel error_logger '{file,"'${RABBITMQ_LOGS}'"}' \
>      -sasl sasl_error_logger '{file,"'${RABBITMQ_SASL_LOGS}'"}' \

>      -kernel error_logger silent \
>      -sasl sasl_error_logger false \
>
> Then you'll get rid of both of them.

A late question:

Are there plans to use log4erl with rabbitmq? So - one
can adjust the loglevel instead of enable/disable the
whole logging. In our case 'error' and 'fatal' should be
logged, 'info' not.

Greetings,
Martin

--
Martin Wilhelm

System Operations

VZnet Netzwerke Ltd. || Saarbruecker Str. 38 || D - 10405 Berlin

Tel:    +49 (30) 4050427 575
Fax:    +49 (30) 405042727 575
Mobil: +49 (176) 14050444

[hidden email]

www.studivz.net, www.meinvz.net, www.schuelervz.net

VZnet Netzwerke Limited, Registered Office Berlin, Registration Court Charlottenburg, HRB 101454
Executive Directors: Clemens Riedl, Thomas Baum, Jodok Batlogg
Non-Executive Directors: Dr. Jochen Gutbrod, Martin Weber, Claas van Delden
Headquarters: VZnet Netzwerke Limited, 5 New Street Square, London EC4A 3TW, United Kingdom
Companies House Cardiff No. 5607971, Place of Registration: England and Wales

Re: Turning off rabbit logging

Matthias Radestock-3
Martin,

Martin Wilhelm wrote:
> Are there plans to use log4erl with rabbitmq? So - one can adjust the
> loglevel instead of enable/disable the whole logging. In our case
> 'error' and 'fatal' should be logged, 'info' not.

There are no plans at present, but I've just filed a bug to look into
this. Switching to a different logging system is quite a substantial
piece of work though, so I doubt we'll get to that soon.

PS: It would be handy if something like log4erl was in Erlang/OTP.