Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

12

Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Ankur5 C
Hi ,

I am trying to enable the MQTT plugin in my rabbit mq(version 3.1.3) . When I check /usr/lib/rabbitmq/lib/rabbitmq_server-3.1.3/plugins directory I have found  rabbitmq_mqtt-3.1.3.ez , but when I restart the rabbitmq server I find the following message in the rabbitmq logs :

=INFO REPORT==== 25-Jun-2014::12:57:48 ===
Error description:
   {could_not_start,rabbitmq_mqtt,{badmatch,{error,shutdown}}}

Please comment on this . I followed the same steps as mentioned in
http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/09/12/mqtt-adapter/.

The only difference is the rabbitmq version . In the above link it is mentioned version
rabbitmq-server 2.8.6 but I am using rabbitmq_server-3.1.3.

Can any one please help me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks and Regards,
Ankur Chakraborty
Tata Consultancy Services

=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Michael Klishin-2
 On 25 June 2014 at 13:53:28, Ankur5 C ([hidden email]) wrote:

> > =INFO REPORT==== 25-Jun-2014(http://airmail.calendar/2014-06-25%2012:00:00%20GMT+4)::12:57:48
> ===
> Error description:
> {could_not_start,rabbitmq_mqtt,{badmatch,{error,shutdown}}}
>
> Please comment on this . I followed the same steps as mentioned
> in http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/09/12/mqtt-adapter/.
>
> The only difference is the rabbitmq version . In the above link
> it is mentioned version rabbitmq-server 2.8.6(http://www.rabbitmq.com/download.html)
> but I am using rabbitmq_server-3.1.3.

I suspect you tried installing the 2.8.6 plugin into 3.1.3 version. That won't work.
There is no need to download the .ez file any more, simply enable the plugin
and restart RabbitMQ.

If you did download the 2.8.6 .ez file, remove it first. Then follow the docs:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/mqtt.html

Also, moving to 3.3.4 is not a bad idea ;)

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Ankur5 C
Hi ,

I am trying connect rabbit mq over ssl and using rabbit mq as an mqtt broker.

I am using PAHO client. I have configured ssl at the rabbitmq side as per http://www.rabbitmq.com/ssl.html.

Bu when I am trying to connect to the broker I am getting the following exception
.MqttException (0) - javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote host closed connection during handshake
        at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.ExceptionHelper.createMqttException(ExceptionHelper.java:34)
        at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.ClientComms$ConnectBG.run(ClientComms.java:553)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote host closed connection during handshake
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:946)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1328)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1355)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1339)
        at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.SSLNetworkModule.start(SSLNetworkModule.java:84)
        at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.ClientComms$ConnectBG.run(ClientComms.java:538)
        ... 1 more
Caused by: java.io.EOFException: SSL peer shut down incorrectly
        at sun.security.ssl.InputRecord.read(InputRecord.java:352)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:927)
        ... 6 more

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Ankur Chakraborty

From:        Michael Klishin <[hidden email]>
To:        Ankur5 C <[hidden email]>, Discussions about RabbitMQ <[hidden email]>
Date:        25-06-2014 15:28
Subject:        Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

 On 26 June 2014 at 12:56:49, Ankur5 C ([hidden email]) wrote:

> > Bu when I am trying to connect to the broker I am getting the following
> exception
> .MqttException(0) - javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
> Remote host closed connection during handshake
> at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.ExceptionHelper.createMqttException(ExceptionHelper.java:34)
> at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.ClientComms$ConnectBG.run(ClientComms.java:553)
> Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote
> host closed connection during handshake
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:946)
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1328)
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1355)
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1339)
> at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.SSLNetworkModule.start(SSLNetworkModule.java:84)
> at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.ClientComms$ConnectBG.run(ClientComms.java:538)
> ... 1 more
> Caused by: java.io.EOFException: SSL peer shut down incorrectly
> at sun.security.ssl.InputRecord.read(InputRecord.java:352)
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:927)
> ... 6 more
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Take a look at RabbitMQ log, there should be some hints at what may be
going on. I suspect peer verification fails.

See SSL Troubleshooting guide:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/troubleshooting-ssl.html

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Michael Klishin-2
+rabbitmq-discuss

On 26 June 2014 at 13:33:15, Ankur5 C ([hidden email]) wrote:

> > Thanx , I went through http://www.rabbitmq.com/troubleshooting-ssl.html.
>
> I executed openssl s_client -connect localhost:5671 -cert
> client/cert.pem -key client/key.pem -CAfile testca/cacert.pem.
>
> Getting everything ok , no error .
>
> But using the same set of certificates when I try to connect using
> the PAHO client I get the following exception as found in the logs
> .
>
> ** Reason for termination ==
> ** {function_clause,[{rabbit_mqtt_frame,parse_utf,[<<1,0,149>>]},
> {rabbit_mqtt_frame,parse_frame,3},
> {rabbit_mqtt_reader,process_received_bytes,2},
> {gen_server2,handle_msg,2},
> {proc_lib,wake_up,3}]}
>
> Please suggest on this.

Please try a different client. This may be a RabbitMQ issue but also
a Paho Java client one.

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Ankur5 C
Hi,

In which port does MQTT ssl option listens in rabbitmq.

I have enabled ssl options in rabbit mq 3.3.1 . When I restart the broker I get the log message as .

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2014::11:49:52 ===
started TCP Listener on [::]:5672

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2014::11:49:53 ===
started SSL Listener on [::]:5671

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2014::11:49:53 ===
started MQTT TCP Listener on [::]:1883

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2014::11:49:53 ===
Management plugin started. Port: 15672

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2014::11:49:53 ===
Statistics database started.

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2014::11:49:53 ===
Server startup complete; 7 plugins started.
 * amqp_client
 * mochiweb
 * rabbitmq_management
 * rabbitmq_management_agent
 * rabbitmq_mqtt
 * rabbitmq_web_dispatch
 * webmachine

I can connect to MQTT port 1883 over no SSL but I doubt how the MQTT ssl can be accessed ?

The ssl port registered for MQTT against rabbitmq is 8883 .

Should not there be something in the log that MQTT ssl has started listening on port 8883?

Please clarify . Also please let me know how I can verify using a client by which one can connect rabbitmq MQTT ssl.

Thanks and Regards,
Ankur Chakraborty

From:        Michael Klishin <[hidden email]>
To:        Ankur5 C <[hidden email]>
Cc:        Discussions about RabbitMQ <[hidden email]>
Date:        26-06-2014 15:05

On 27 June 2014 at 10:15:20, Ankur5 C ([hidden email]) wrote:

> > I can connect to MQTT port 1883 over no SSL but I doubt how the MQTT
> ssl can be accessed ?
>
> The ssl port registered for MQTT against rabbitmq is 8883 .
>
> Should not there be something in the log that MQTT ssl has started
> listening on port 8883?
>
> Please clarify . Also please let me know how I can verify using
> a client by which one can connect rabbitmq MQTT ssl.

You choose the port using ssl_listeners (see Plugin Configuration on
http://www.rabbitmq.com/mqtt.html, and specify the port you want
instead of an empty list).

MQTT with SSL port is typically 8883 (this is mentioned in our docs)
but it can be any port you want.
It is *not* common to use MQTT with SSL on port 1883, unless you must
disable non-SSL connections entirely.

You can verify SSL connectivity using openssl s_client or an MQTT
client that makes it easy to configure SSL. See

On 27 June 2014 at 10:26:18, Michael Klishin ([hidden email]) wrote:

> > You choose the port using ssl_listeners (see Plugin Configuration
> on
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/mqtt.html, and specify the port
> you want
> instead of an empty list).
>
> MQTT with SSL port is typically 8883 (this is mentioned in our
> docs)
> but it can be any port you want.
> It is *not* common to use MQTT with SSL on port 1883, unless you
> must
> disable non-SSL connections entirely.

We've added an example config that provides MQTT with SSL on port 8883
to the docs, see the TLS/SSL section on  http://www.rabbitmq.com/mqtt.html.

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Ankur5 C
Thanks. Did all the configurations and getting the message that MQTT SSL listens on port 8883 , but still I am unable to connect MQTT SSL using the paho java client.

I visited the logs and got the following error :

=ERROR REPORT==== 27-Jun-2014::14:55:49 ===
** Generic server <0.422.0> terminating
** Last message in was {go,#Port<0.14656>,#Fun<rabbit_networking.1.24135120>}
** When Server state == undefined
** Reason for termination ==
** {{badmatch,{error,{ssl_upgrade_error,timeout}}},
    [{rabbit_mqtt_reader,handle_call,3},
     {gen_server2,handle_msg,2},
     {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}

Is this due to any network related issues ? or anything else?

Thanks and Regards,
Ankur Chakraborty

From:        Michael Klishin <[hidden email]>
To:        Ankur5 C <[hidden email]>
Cc:        [hidden email]
Date:        27-06-2014 12:32

 On 27 June 2014 at 13:16:09, Ankur5 C ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > ** Reason for termination ==
> ** {{badmatch,{error,{ssl_upgrade_error,timeout}}},
> [{rabbit_mqtt_reader,handle_call,3},
> {gen_server2,handle_msg,2},
> {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}
>
> Is this due to any network related issues ? or anything else?

SSL upgrade never finished because (a guess) the client wasn't
actually configured to use SSL.

How did you configure the client?

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Ankur5 C
I have used Paho java client.

I have built a sample java project and is trying to connect .

MqttClient client = new MqttClient("ssl://192.168.161.208:8883", "rabbitmq");

                        MqttConnectOptions options = new MqttConnectOptions();
                        options.setConnectionTimeout(60);
                        options.setKeepAliveInterval(60);

                        options.setSocketFactory(SslUtil.getSocketFactory("C:/Users/397886/Desktop/HBase/workspacetrunk/TestMQTT/certificates/cacert.pem",
                                        "C:/Users/397886/Desktop/HBase/workspacetrunk/TestMQTT/certificates/cert.pem",
                                        "C:/Users/397886/Desktop/HBase/workspacetrunk/TestMQTT/certificates/key.pem", "MySecretPassword"));

                        client.connect(options);

Thanks and Regards,
Ankur Chakraborty

From:        Michael Klishin <[hidden email]>
To:        Ankur5 C <[hidden email]>
Cc:        [hidden email]
Date:        27-06-2014 14:50

 On 27 June 2014 at 13:16:09, Ankur5 C ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > ** Reason for termination ==
> ** {{badmatch,{error,{ssl_upgrade_error,timeout}}},
> [{rabbit_mqtt_reader,handle_call,3},
> {gen_server2,handle_msg,2},
> {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}
>
> Is this due to any network related issues ? or anything else?

SSL upgrade never finished because (a guess) the client wasn't
actually configured to use SSL.

How did you configure the client?

=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Ankur5 C
Also if any mqtt ssl client available , please let me know.

Is this a bug in rabbitmq ssl support for MQTT ?

Thanks and Regards,
Ankur Chakraborty

From: Ankur5 C/KOL/TCS
To: Michael Klishin <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Date: 27-06-2014 14:55
Subject: Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] Unable to establish MQTT plugin in
            rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

I have used Paho java client.

I have built a sample java project and is trying to connect .

MqttClient client = new MqttClient("ssl://192.168.161.208:8883", "rabbitmq"
);

,

From: Michael Klishin <[hidden email]>
To: Ankur5 C <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Date: 27-06-2014 14:50
            rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

On 27 June 2014 at 14:24:01, Ankur5 C ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Is this a bug in rabbitmq ssl support for MQTT ?

We need to investigate before we can tell. The MQTT plugin test suite uses
Paho but there are no SSL-enabled tests as far as I can see.

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Ankur5 C
Thanks . Please let us know when you get any information / result in this regard.

Thanks and Regards,
Ankur Chakraborty

From:        Michael Klishin <[hidden email]>
To:        Ankur5 C <[hidden email]>
Cc:        [hidden email]
Date:        27-06-2014 15:59

On 27 June 2014 at 14:28:44, Michael Klishin ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > We need to investigate before we can tell. The MQTT plugin test
> suite uses
> Paho but there are no SSL-enabled tests as far as I can see.

So I can reproduce the error report you see in the log when there is something
wrong about the CA certificate/client certificate I use. That's something
we should report properly as a warning. However, I am able to connect
using Ruby and Python clients with SSL.

Will try with Paho next .

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Ankur5 C
Thanks , will be great if you come up with some example codes.

Thanks and Regards,
Ankur Chakraborty

From:        Michael Klishin <[hidden email]>
To:        Ankur5 C <[hidden email]>
Cc:        [hidden email]
Date:        27-06-2014 17:19

On 27 June 2014 at 15:53:30, Ankur5 C ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Thanks , will be great if you come up with some example codes.

I use the certificates and keys that tls-gen generates:
https://github.com/ruby-amqp/tls-gen

It only requires make and openssl installed to get running.

My Ruby example comes from the Ruby MQTT client:
https://gist.github.com/michaelklishin/dc3f8c44e081a26a2f3d

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Ankur5 C
That is ok , but my requirement is PAHO client ssl connectivity to RabbitMQ broker. Please let me know the examples and results of your testing with PAHO client via ssl with rabbitmq MQTT.

Thanks and Regards,
Ankur Chakraborty

From:        Michael Klishin <[hidden email]>
To:        Ankur5 C <[hidden email]>
Cc:        [hidden email]
Date:        27-06-2014 17:29

On 27 June 2014 at 16:05:03, Ankur5 C ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > That is ok , but my requirement is PAHO client ssl connectivity
> to RabbitMQ broker. Please let me know the examples and results
> of your testing with PAHO client via ssl with rabbitmq MQTT.

My point was that so far it seems to be an environment-specific issue
or a Paho one but not RabbitMQ's. Try for yourself with any other client.

Re: Unable to establish MQTT plugin in rabbitmq version : 3.1.3.

Ankur5 C
As per I know PAHO is the best one for MQTT java client.

Could you please suggest any other java client which can connect to RabbitMQ MQTT over ssl?

Thanks and Regards,
Ankur Chakraborty

From:        Michael Klishin <[hidden email]>
To:        Ankur5 C <[hidden email]>