clustering on google app engine

Richard Tier
The docs on clustering state that "clustering does not tolerate network partitions well", and states to avoid clustering on WAN.

I'm using Google Cloud Engine instances - all of which are in the same zone.

Should this setup be considered a WAN?

Re: clustering on google app engine

Richard Tier
sorry - to confirm - tite should read "google compute engine"

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:46:39 PM UTC+1, Richard Tier wrote:
The <a href="https://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rabbitmq.com%2Fclustering.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEK8GjKLNVibqJGgyHZQVx7l9uz7w';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rabbitmq.com%2Fclustering.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEK8GjKLNVibqJGgyHZQVx7l9uz7w';return true;">docs on clustering state that "clustering does not tolerate network partitions well", and states to avoid clustering on WAN.

I'm using Google Cloud Engine instances - all of which are in the same zone.

Should this setup be considered a WAN?

Re: clustering on google app engine

Fei Yao
Richard,
I'm not an expert on GCE. But if there are in the same zone it will not be considered WAN. We had some experience in AWS, if it's Multi-AZ it will be considered WAN, and we've experience 3 network partitions last year.

Best Regards

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:46:39 AM UTC-4, Richard Tier wrote:
The <a href="https://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rabbitmq.com%2Fclustering.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEK8GjKLNVibqJGgyHZQVx7l9uz7w';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rabbitmq.com%2Fclustering.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEK8GjKLNVibqJGgyHZQVx7l9uz7w';return true;">docs on clustering state that "clustering does not tolerate network partitions well", and states to avoid clustering on WAN.

I'm using Google Cloud Engine instances - all of which are in the same zone.

Should this setup be considered a WAN?

Re: clustering on google app engine

Laing, Michael P.
Experiences vary - we cluster across AWS zones in multiple regions and have not had a partition in production in over a year.

I have experimented with this and the basic rules are: always be sure you have available compute capacity by over-provisioning your clustered instances relative to their load; never go into IO wait state (avoid intense disk usage brought on by swapping or needless message persistence).

Also, avoid the us-east-1 region as it has the most usage, oldest hardware, highest latencies, and highest incidence of failures.

ml

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM, Fei Yao <[hidden email]> wrote:
Richard,
I'm not an expert on GCE. But if there are in the same zone it will not be considered WAN. We had some experience in AWS, if it's Multi-AZ it will be considered WAN, and we've experience 3 network partitions last year.

Best Regards

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:46:39 AM UTC-4, Richard Tier wrote:
The docs on clustering state that "clustering does not tolerate network partitions well", and states to avoid clustering on WAN.

I'm using Google Cloud Engine instances - all of which are in the same zone.

Should this setup be considered a WAN?

Re: clustering on google app engine

mc717990
Ditto on what Michael said on disk IO.  Rabbit has been rock solid for us in prod with no partitioning for at least a year and a half+ (We DID have some operating system issues due to a kernel bug around 208 days of up time).  Whenever I've seen problems with rabbit, it's because the disk gets overloaded and rabbit doesn't seem to handle that very well.  I remember at the 2.8 days running load tests with HIPE and out-right crashing rabbit after about 5 minutes at a constant 90% disk utilization.  Which reminds me I need to try some load tests again, see how 3.3 handles things.

Jason

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 5:24 AM, Laing, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jason McIntosh
https://github.com/jasonmcintosh/
573-424-7612