os x brew install of rabbitmq fails silently

os x brew install of rabbitmq fails silently

Alex Clifton
I installed rabbitmg on os x 10.9.3 using brew.

No matter what rabbitmq command I use i get nothing returned and no output.

Re: os x brew install of rabbitmq fails silently

Michael Klishin-2
 On 23 June 2014 at 10:27:49, Alex Clifton ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > I installed rabbitmg on os x 10.9.3 using brew.
>
> No matter what rabbitmq command I use i get nothing returned and
> no output.

What commands specifically have you tried? Anything in

 * /usr/local/var/log/rabbitmq/[hidden email]
 * /usr/local/var/log/rabbitmq/[hidden email]

Does RabbitMQ server start when you run it in foreground with
/usr/local/Cellar/rabbitmq/3.3.2/sbin/rabbitmq-server?

Re: os x brew install of rabbitmq fails silently

Laing, Michael P.
Workaround: remove -e from the 1st line of the rabbitmq-server script.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 2:46 AM, Michael Klishin <[hidden email]> wrote:
 On 23 June 2014 at 10:27:49, Alex Clifton ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > I installed rabbitmg on os x 10.9.3 using brew.
>
> No matter what rabbitmq command I use i get nothing returned and
> no output.

What commands specifically have you tried? Anything in

 * /usr/local/var/log/rabbitmq/[hidden email]
 * /usr/local/var/log/rabbitmq/[hidden email]

Does RabbitMQ server start when you run it in foreground with
/usr/local/Cellar/rabbitmq/3.3.2/sbin/rabbitmq-server?

Re: os x brew install of rabbitmq fails silently

Simon MacMullen-2
On 23/06/2014 12:29PM, Laing, Michael wrote:
> Workaround: remove -e from the 1st line of the rabbitmq-server script.

Note that this should only be necessary if you have inet_dist_listen_min
/ inet_dist_listen_max defined in your rabbitmq.config - there's a known
bug in that case. And even so it should not break anything other than
rabbitmq-server; the OP said all commands fail.

We will of course be fixing this bug in 3.3.4 but we want to keep "-e"
for obvious reasons - if things are failing in the startup scripts we
should not just soldier blindly on.

Re: os x brew install of rabbitmq fails silently

Alex Clifton
sudo rabbitmq-server
sudo rabbitmqctl status
sudo rabbitmq-server -detached

I eventually used macPorts to install it and it works now.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 2:46 AM, Michael Klishin <[hidden email]> wrote:
 On 23 June 2014 at 10:27:49, Alex Clifton ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > I installed rabbitmg on os x 10.9.3 using brew.
>
> No matter what rabbitmq command I use i get nothing returned and
> no output.

What commands specifically have you tried? Anything in

 * /usr/local/var/log/rabbitmq/[hidden email]
 * /usr/local/var/log/rabbitmq/[hidden email]

Does RabbitMQ server start when you run it in foreground with
/usr/local/Cellar/rabbitmq/3.3.2/sbin/rabbitmq-server?

☮ ♥ ☺ ☯
Alexander Clifton

Re: os x brew install of rabbitmq fails silently

Alex Clifton
I got it working by installing it with macPorts.

I'll keep the -e in mind next time I try to set it up.

Thank you!

:-)

On 23 June 2014 at 18:01:45, Alex Clifton ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > I'll keep the -e in mind next time I try to set it up.

Also keep in mind that Homebrew generally does not require using sudo for anything:
the Cellar directory is supposed to be owned by a non-privileged user.

 On 23 June 2014 at 18:07:56, Michael Klishin ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Also keep in mind that Homebrew generally does not require using
> sudo for anything:
> the Cellar directory is supposed to be owned by a non-privileged
> user.

We've discovered one more issue with the use of -e in 3.3.3 scripts
which affected Homebrew. A fix should be in 3.3.4.

For now, removing the -e from rabbitmq-server shebang should help.

Re: os x brew install of rabbitmq fails silently

carlhoerberg
It fails on "readlink -f" which differs from linux's "readlink"..